Charities and Communities
We provide a quick response to charities needing advice
We know that it can be a challenge for a charity’s trustees or executive team to understand their roles, to ensure that they set realistic strategic objectives and to adhere to their legal obligations. That is why we are here, to provide you with legal, practical and sound advice at every stage.
Colin Liddell, the only accredited specialist in Charity Law outwith Edinburgh and Glasgow, heads up our team dedicated to serving charities and community organisations throughout Scotland and further afield. We are pleased to have developed a leading role in the provision of legal advice, Company Secretarial and administrative and financial services.
We act for a growing number of charities and other non-profit-distributing organisations, locally, regionally, nationally and internationally. The charities we look after work in every variety of charitable activity and we have significant knowledge and experience of issues which can arise. One of the charities which we helped to bring into being chose Scotland rather than Geneva for its base, and now operates in over 40 countries.
Charities and community organisations tend to need assistance additional to charity law, and we can assist here too, for example with leases, employment, contracts, intellectual property rights and governance.
Specifically, we can provide:
- advice about whether charitable status is appropriate
- the type of organisation to choose
- the running and development of your charity
- financial services for your charity, including payroll services
- advice and assistance in fund-raising schemes and obtaining tax relief
- advice on non-charitable trading and setting up a separate trading company
- amalgamation and changing the structure of existing charities
Colin Liddell also lectures regularly throughout Scotland, both to professionals and Charity Trustees, on topics relating to charities and Charity Law and is a principal advisor at Scottish Charity Advisors.
We look forward to having an opportunity to help you.
'A Practical Guide to Charity Law in Scotland’ has been published by W. Green (ISBN13: 9780414032569) and is available at a cost of £69. The expert author team, led by General Editor James McNeill QC, covers the whole life of a charity within the text: from the initial moments of those contemplating setting one up, through operating it under OSCR's watchful eye, to dealing with the assets when it has run its course. Each section of the book guides you the reader through the processes, ensuring you can deal confidently with any related procedure, safe in the knowledge that the answers you need are easily found. The text is entirely up-to-date, taking account of the 2005 Act with all amendments to present day and includes discussion in relation to recent guidance from the Scottish Charity Regulator.
Colin Liddell has contributed two of the thirteen Chapters, namely one on ‘Variation, Reorganisation and Amalgamation’ and the other on ‘Dissolution’.
Our Fact Sheets are available to download here:
- Charity Newsletter 2016
- Charity Newsletter 2015
- Charity Newsletter 2014
- Quick Guide To Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Act 2005
- Setting up a Charity
- What is a Guarantee Company?
- What is a SCIO?
- Land Reform: ‘Model’ Articles of Association for Community Bodies
- Introduction to the Community Right to Buy
- About a PSC Register
- Notifiable Events’ reporting to OSCR for Scottish Charities
- The Role of the Charity Trustee